Re: X display problem

Subject: Re: X display problem
From: Peter M. Bagnall (pete@surfaceeffect.com)
Date: Thu Mar 09 2000 - 05:02:36 MST

>if I drag a window it curves as I move it towards the right. I've tried all
>the settings in Xconfigurator, but all the settings apart from 8bit, 640x480
>or 8bit 832x624 are either the same or not working.
>
>I've got a Sony 17inch monitor(210 ES), I've chosen the 'Sony 210EST' driver
>in Xconfigurator- could this be the problem?

It sounds like a monitor problem. If you're running at a different
resolution and refresh you will need have a play with your monitor
settings. Many monitors have a control to adjust image curvature in many
ways, on of which is controlling the curve out on the right hand side of
the screen. You'll need to set these for each resolution.

Whether your Sony has this I don't know, but I don't think it has anything
to do with X if I've understood you correctly. If it's got on screen
controls then it probably does have these settings.

Have you tried changing the resolution and refresh in MacOS as seeing if
you get a similar effect? I think the refresh is pretty important to things
like this, so pay particular attention to that. Find out from MacOS which
refresh rates work ok and then specify those in your X config. I'd tell you
how, but I don't know!

If that's not it then I'm puzzled!

Pete

--