Re: Configure Netatalk for encrypted auth?

Subject: Re: Configure Netatalk for encrypted auth?
From: Rich Lafferty (rich@alcor.concordia.ca)
Date: Fri Mar 10 2000 - 08:04:27 MST

On Fri, Mar 10, 2000 at 03:42:13AM -0400, Andrew Dacey (frugal@hfx.eastlink.ca) wrote:
> I don't think it would be too difficult to do it on the Linux side.
> However, as I understand it, Appletalk sends the passwords in plain
> text. As I said, you could probably hack something for it on the linux
> side (say md5 digest authentication), but making it work on the macos
> side would be a bit more difficult.

This is incorrect. The MacOS will happily use randnum and 2-way
randnum UAMs, and both are supported by netatalk (as are any others
for which you have an extension and netatalk code).

I've built my own netatalk, though, so I don't know the state of the
one distributed with YDL as the original poster was wondering.

Try this in the afpd.conf:

"Server Name" -transall -randnum -rand2num -nocleartxt -setpassword -noguest

Cheers,

  -Rich

 Sysadmin/Programmer, Instructional and Information Technology Services