what support for 3-button mice or trackballs?

Subject: what support for 3-button mice or trackballs?
From: John M. Wright (jmw@chem.ucsd.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 10 2000 - 18:17:32 MST

Hi folks,

Last Sunday I ftp'd CS-1.2 from the sourceforge mirror onto a
hard drive and successfully installed it. A few minor glitches,
but on the whole it installed pretty easily and is working well -
except that trying to get 3-button ADB mouse support working is driving
me up the wall. I have a 4-button Kensington trackball ("TurboMouse")
which was working fine under MkLinux DR3. Initially after installing
CS-1.2, all four buttons behaved as button one. I tried various
imaginative kernel arguments to BootX (like "adb_buttons=1,2,3" and
others); all the adb_buttons arguments did was cause it to hang up
somewhere in the boot process. I also tried swapping button assignents
with xmodmap. I fooled around for quite a while, and then suddenly
noticed that the buttons were working; Three of the four buttons
acted as buttons 1, 2 and 3 of a 3-button mouse, and I could
switch around their assignment with xmodmap. Three out of four
was plenty good enough, and I was happy enough that the buttons were
working to ignore the fact that I had no idea what particular sequence
of operations had done the trick. Alas, as usual with things that
fix themselves, the unfixing process was just as easy, and last night
for no reason I could fathom, the mouse reverted to all four buttons
acting as button one. I have been unable to repeat the process of
blundering into a method of getting three-button support back again,
and I would appreciate any assistance with suggestions for things I
might try or sources of information.

Thanks,

John Wright
Chemistry Department, UCSD