Re: /dev/hdaX has reached maximal mount count, check forced

Subject: Re: /dev/hdaX has reached maximal mount count, check forced
From: Andrew Dacey (frugal@hfx.eastlink.ca)
Date: Wed Mar 15 2000 - 00:26:35 MST

It has to do with the way fsck works. When you reboot (or even cold
boot) your machine fsck is run in a quick mode (because running a full
fsck check takes awhile as you've just found out) that only checks if
the partition was cleanly (properly) unmounted last time. If it was,
then it's assumed that the partition is good and it isn't checked. If it
wasn't cleanly unmounted then fsck will do a full check of it (if you've
ever managed to crash your box then you'll have experienced this).
However, it's not exactly a given that if the partition was cleanly
unmounted that all is good (but most of the time it is). So just to be
safe, fsck will periodically check the partition anyways after so many
mounts. So every time you mount the partition the count is incremented.
Once it reaches a certain number, fsck is forced to check the partition
(just to make sure that all is good). It is configurable but I can't
remember where/how off the top of my head. If memory serves it has to do
with how you setup the partition, like % of space reserved for root and
block size. Anyways, while some of those options (like block size)
aren't changeable after the partition is created, I do believe that you
can change the maximum mount count.

Hope this helps,

Frugal