Re: /dev/hdaX has reached maximal mount count, check forced

Subject: Re: /dev/hdaX has reached maximal mount count, check forced
From: Peter M. Bagnall (pete@surfaceeffect.com)
Date: Wed Mar 15 2000 - 00:46:40 MST

> Any idea why I recently got this message upon reboot?
> (Running '99 PowerBook Lombard.)
>
> - Paul

Linux maintains a count of how many times the partition is mounted. Once
that count reaches a certain value it does a check to make sure that the
partition is clean, ie the free space map is correct, and so forth, I think
it uses fsck to do this.

It's just a way of making sure that you don't accumulate errors on your
disc. It's normal behaviour so no need to worry about it. Once it does the
check it resets the counter again.

At least, that's my understanding. Anyone know what the max mount count is?
Given the number of times I've seen this message I would guess it's about
100 but I don't know. I think also that this is only done for the root
partition during boot. I've never seen it happen on anything else.

Pete

--
Peter M. Bagnall
pete@surfaceeffect.com - http://www.surfaceeffect.com/