YDL CS 1.2 on G4 (fwd)

Subject: YDL CS 1.2 on G4 (fwd)
From: Evan Read (eread@netaccess.co.nz)
Date: Wed Mar 15 2000 - 12:24:04 MST

*resent in case didn't make list last night due to configuration problem*

Hiyas

I'm having problems booting my freshly installed YDL CS 1.2 on my G4.

My layout is:

/dev/hda - 10GB IDE Master
/dev/hdb - 4GB IDE slave
/dev/hdc - Apple DVD master
/dev/hdd - Iomega ZIP slave

G4 400/128MB

I booted on the CS 1.2 install CD-ROM and installed YDL on /dev/hdb fine.
/dev/hdb1 is a 60MB swap partition, /dev/hdb2 is the ext2 fs. The install
went fine.

I rebooted on my MacOS HDA and installed BootX. I then copied the vmlinux
file from the "install" directory on my install cd-rom to the System
Folder on my MacOS HDA. I've instructed BootX to use that vmlinux file and
have the root partition set to "/dev/hdb2".

When I switch to linux, the kernel starts to load. When it gets to the
point of doing partition checks, it keeps reporting along the lines of:

hda lost interrupt;
hda lost interrupt;
hda lost interrupt;
hdb lost interrupt;
hdb lost interrupt;
hdb lost interrupt;

This just keeps on happening. Its like the IDE bus isn't responding
correctly. When I boot up directly off the CD-ROM (either install or
tasty), this problem never occurs.

I'm using the same vmlinux as on those CD-ROMs so I can't figure out where
I am going wrong! Is there a kernel argument I should be passing so help
it use the ultra-ata bus in my G4?

Thanks