Re: YDL CS 1.2 on G4 (fwd)

Subject: Re: YDL CS 1.2 on G4 (fwd)
From: Kevin Hendricks (khendricks@ivey.uwo.ca)
Date: Wed Mar 15 2000 - 12:36:07 MST

Hi,

This means you have one of the newer sawtooth G4 machines that does *NOT* boot
correctly with BootX. The only way to successfully boot your G4 is to use
yaboot (which is what the CD 1.2 install cd does). I know all of this because
I have one such machine (a brand new G4 450Mhz).

You may in fact have one of the new Rage128Pro cards installed (as opposed to
a regular Rage128).

If so, you will need to recompile a kernel with a small kernel patch I have to
get aty128fb.c to work at any resolution higher than 8bpp.

I also have a slightly modified Xpmac (soon to be released as Xpmac rev 10)
that will recognize this new card and get things accelerated.

Try booting with yaboot and once that is successful let me know and we can read
your /proc/device-tree to find out exactly what video card you have.

Just mail me directly.

Kevin

> Hiyas > > I'm having problems booting my freshly
installed YDL CS 1.2 on my G4. >

--

-- Kevin B. Hendricks Associate Professor of Operations and Information Technology Richard Ivey School of Business, University of Western Ontario London, Ontario N6A-3K7 CANADA khendricks@ivey.uwo.ca, (519) 661-3874, fax: 519-661-3959