Re: ISO Images Dwnlded..What Next?

Subject: Re: ISO Images Dwnlded..What Next?
From: Ed Jaeger (ed.jaeger@bgcorp.com)
Date: Wed Mar 15 2000 - 18:26:10 MST

Well, step by step...

NTR wrote:

> Dear Ed,
>
> Thanks for your quick reply. I am very Linux Unsavory, but I am not Mac
> stupid. Please help with the following instructions if you can by
> further defining them.
>
> >Attach the disks you're going to use

Linux needs its own disk space. You either use part of the single big
disk you have, or add one or more disks for Linux to use.

Depending on your level of expertise with hardware and what you have you
can either partition your existing disk (by backing up what you have
there now, repartitioning, reinstalling MacOS and then istalling linux)
or add a brand new empty disk and use just that for linux.

> What exactly does this mean in the most simplest of step by step
> instructions. I have only one disk which I am not sure if I burned
> correctly.
>
> Downloaded iso image to mac os 9
> Used Toast to Burn iso image to a CD. full write no more room
> CD does not boot
>
> I have tried to boot from the CD but no go.

>From what I have read this is a result of not burning the CD correctly.
I use cdrecord in linux to make my CDs - if you use some of the
commercially available CD writing software for MacOS there are specific
procedures to follow to make a disk that works. I don't know these, but
I have seen the discussion, so someone else will probably chime in here.

> > & boot from the CD, then follow the
> >instructions.
>
> >You can mount the CD in MacOS and look at the manual - it's in the
> >"ydlmanual" manual folder on my 1.1 disk, probably the same place on 1.2
>
> I'll give it a try.
>
> thanks
>
> dave

Even if you burned the CD wrong (i.e. as an HFS disk) you should be able
to get to the manuals. If not they're available at the YDL website.

<advice>
Even though the 1.2 version is not available, _buy_ the boxed set of 1.1
if this is your first linux experience. I did, and having the printed
manuals available is wonderful. I tried to install RedHat for a week
(in 1997!) via ftp without success, and got it in hours after I sprang
for the $35 set (this was back in the RedHat 4.0 days).
</advice>

--
Ed Jaeger, CFO, Bohlender Graebener Corporation
ed.jaeger@bgcorp.com

- Leo Tolstoy