Re: Xpmac

Subject: Re: Xpmac
From: Kevin B. Hendricks (khendricks@ivey.uwo.ca)
Date: Thu Mar 16 2000 - 13:17:54 MST

Hi Dave (and those of you with brand new G4 machines)

>Thanks for the reply - The Xpmac.special seemed to work well, although I
>do have that vertical mirroring problem. I was wondering if you could
>give me some instruction for patching the kernel; I've been using linux
>for a while, but haven't had the pleasure of recompiling the kernel yet.

There are numerous HOWTOs and things that will explain how to build your
own kernel available from both the YellowDog and LinuxPPC sites and in the
PowerPC FAQ. Here is a short summary:

1. get the latest kernel source tree via rsync from Paul Mackerras site

   mkdir linuxpmac-2.2.15pre14
   cd linuxpmac-2.2.15pre14
   rsync -arvz --delete linuxcare.com.au::linux-pmac-stable ./

2. take a copy of it (do not build in rsynced tree) and move it
to /usr/src and create a symlink to it

   cd ../
   tar -zcf linuxpmac.tar.gz linuxpmac-2.2.15pre14/
   mv linuxpmac.tar.gz /usr/src
   cd /usr/src/
   tar -zxf linuxpmac.tar.gz
   ln -s linuxpmac-2.2.15pre14 linux

3. then cd into the directory and apply any patches you need

   /* first ungzip and copy any desired patches to the kernel tree */
   gunzip rage128pro.patch.gz
   cp rage128pro.patch /usr/src/linux

   cd /usr/src/linux

   /* now apply the Rage128Pro patch as an example */
   patch -p0 < rage128pro.patch

4. Now you are ready to build the kernel. Here are the steps:

***If this is the first time you have built a kernel, skip the
***"make mrproper" step and use "make oldconfig" to build the default
***kernel Paul has tested!

   make mrproper
   make pmac-config
   make oldconfig (xconfig or menuconfig or config)
   make dep
   make clean
   make vmlinux
   make modules
   make modules_install

You should be left with vmlinux (the kernel you just built) and a
System.map and the modules themselves will already be installed in
/lib/modules

Also:

In case, you run into problems, building your own kernel,

I have built a kernel for you (and others) to use that includes my patch.

It is available from:

http://khendricks.ivey.uwo.ca/rage128pro

Have fun.

Kevin