Re: Some yaboot instructions

Subject: Re: Some yaboot instructions
From: Kevin B. Hendricks (khendricks@ivey.uwo.ca)
Date: Thu Mar 16 2000 - 19:03:38 MST

Hi,

>I've been unsuccesfully trying to setup my computer to use yaboot for a few
>hours now, fooling around in OF. So my first question is: is yaboot only
>for the newworld machines, or does it work for older G3s as well? (no point
>on continuing if it does not support these, as I do not have a G4).

yaboot works fine on my B+W G3. I do not know if it works on Beige G3s or
not. But BootX 1.2 should work fine for your G3 machine so you don't
really need to use yaboot.

>Do you have any magic tricks to conjure the right name for my /dev/hde?
>Should it be a number (like hd5), or what? I tried giving OF the ide0/@0:0
>deal, but then I don't know which zero should be replaced by my partition
>number, and which is the one designating the drive itself. I tried a lot of
>different combinations, none of which would make it boot.
>So any help would be welcomed ^-^

Yes, Apple makes a program that they give out that dumps the OF device tree
from the MacOS side of things. All you need do is double click. It will
tell you alot of things you may (or may not!) want to know.

Just unbinhex and unsit (Expander 5.1) the attached file and double-click
it. Then look for the line which says:

>Devices:device-tree:aliases

And it will give you the short OF names for all of your devices.

Have fun.

Kevin