Re: ppp still broken (Was: What's compiled into the kernels...)

Subject: Re: ppp still broken (Was: What's compiled into the kernels...)
From: Jim Cole (greyleaf@yggdrasill.net)
Date: Sat Mar 18 2000 - 01:13:01 MST

Paul J. Lucas's bits of Fri, 17 Mar 2000 translated to:

> After a day of messing around and rebuilding kernels, I got it
> back to where ethernet works but PPP doesn't.
>
> I did an strace of pppd nad it simply gets hung hortly after it
> sets up the local/remote IP addresses. I built ppp as a module
> and, via lsmod, it DOES get loaded (along with its
> dependencies).
>
> I don't know what's going on.

You are probably already doing so, but if not you might try running
pppd as root just to eliminate some possibilities. Is /var/log/messages
telling you anything interesting? I had some problems at just about
the point you are reaching and it turned out to involve manipulation
of the routing table. However if I recall correctly it was dying,
not hanging. It logged a vaguely useful message. The problem went
away when I cleared the default route before trying to start ppp.

Jim