Re: ydl-cs11.2-startx does not start

Subject: Re: ydl-cs11.2-startx does not start
From: Jim Cole (greyleaf@yggdrasill.net)
Date: Sat Mar 18 2000 - 01:58:17 MST

Sounds like your font server is not running. That is at least one of
the causes of the particular message you are receiving. Before trying
to start up X, issue the following command...

ps ax | grep xfs

If you don't see a line that looks something like

511 ? S 0:00 xfs -droppriv -daemon -port -1

then you have probably found your problem ;)

If the font server (xfs) installed, there should be a startup script
in /etc/rc.d/init.d. If xfs does not appear to be running, change to
this directory and try doing a ./xfs start (as root) and see what it
tells you. If it appears to work, give startx another shot. If there
is no xfs in this directory, then it likely that the font server was
not installed for some reason.

Jim

Tams Darrin's bits of Fri, 17 Mar 2000 translated to: