Re: YDL CS 1.2 on G4

Subject: Re: YDL CS 1.2 on G4
From: Craig (craig@pom-dhcp-88-49.pomona.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 20 2000 - 00:20:45 MST

I have some sort of a half-breed G4 which as a Pro card but BootX works still,
with other people's kernels that is.
I have been trying to compile a new kernel following the instructions that I
have found various places, but with no success. It seems to compile just
fine, but I can never boot the result. I have been doing

make menuconfig
make dep
make clean
make vmlinux
make modules
make modules_install

I wanted to use these new 128pro patches, but
my primary goal is to get the tulip network card to work, because I have been
having a lot of trouble with the built-in ethernet (lots of dropped
packets). Anyway, booting these kernels gets to the very first screen before
Tux's picture then hangs a while, then I can hear the sounds of hard disk
accesses and the cd whirring like its booting, but it just stops.
I've tried every how-to's instructions I could find, tried BootX and yaboot both
and nothing has worked. BTW, there was one step that went wrong in
following Kevin Hendricks' instructions: make pmac-config claimed that
there were no targets for that and stopped. Other times I have tried to
compile, that step worked, but those kernels stopped before the lines
"pmac-ide ..." appear in a normal startup.

Thank you in advance,
Craig