Re: YDL CS 1.2 on G4

Subject: Re: YDL CS 1.2 on G4
From: Jim Cole (greyleaf@yggdrasill.net)
Date: Mon Mar 20 2000 - 03:17:53 MST

Craig's bits of Sun, 19 Mar 2000 translated to:

>I have some sort of a half-breed G4 which as a Pro card but BootX works still,
>with other people's kernels that is.
The word I have heard is that it is down right dangerous to use BootX
with the newest G4's. I would stay away from it unless you somehow know
for certain that it won't be a problem for you. It could be causing some
of your problems.

Other than that, all I could suggest is to start with a config file that
is known to work (maybe from the CS 1.2 kernel RPM). And then be very careful
about what options you change; in other words, don't touch anything unless
it is related to the card you are trying to get working. I have had both
builds that failed and kernels that wouldn't boot due to being too creative
in messing with the config options ;)

>I wanted to use these new 128pro patches, but
>my primary goal is to get the tulip network card to work, because I have been
I was able to build a bootable kernel for my G4 with the 128pro patch,
following Kevin's instructions (except for the pmac-config issue you
mention). So that much at least is doable. If you would like, I could
give you a copy of my config file for a starting point.

Jim