Re: ydl-cs11.2-startx does not start

Subject: Re: ydl-cs11.2-startx does not start
From: Jim Cole (greyleaf@yggdrasill.net)
Date: Mon Mar 20 2000 - 11:48:38 MST

Patrick Armbruster's bits of Mon, 20 Mar 2000 translated to:

>Are you really SURE that XFS is needed for running the X Window System? I
>thought it's just part of the true type support, which isn't really
>essential?

Technically, no xfs is not needed. You could hand edit your XF86Config
file and specify font paths directly. However, YDL is derived from
RedHat which has moved to using the font server by default for handling
fonts in X. The following are comments for the automagically generated
XF86Config file.

# Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated together)
# By default, Red Hat 6.0 and later now use a font server independent of
# the X server to render fonts.

If you don't edit this section of the file and you don't have xfs running,
you have no fonts.

Also, I do not believe that xfs, in general, has support for true type
fonts. The RedHat based version *does* support true type, but with some
other distributions, it is necessary to run something like xfstf for
serving up true types.

Least that is my understanding. Corrections are welcome ;)

Jim