Re: YDL CS 1.2 on G4

Subject: Re: YDL CS 1.2 on G4
From: Craig (craig@pom-dhcp-88-49.pomona.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 21 2000 - 22:32:03 MST

BootX, yaboot, kernel, network problems...

 I am having stranger trouble now. First off, only BootX seems to work even though I have a Rage128Pro G4. I didn't know aboutany danger and kept using BootX even after installing CS1.2. I don't know what danger there is, but I thought it best
 to avoid any by making a clean install and convert to yaboot. The install was fine, but after making bootinfo.txt and
 yaboot.conf following otehr instructions, typing boot in the OF command prompt just got me this:

 0> boot
 ok
 2>

mac-boot then tried to ( and may have ben successful since I don't know what "looks funny" means ) load bootinfo.txt
according to a line under the mac os logo, but then went to :tbxi and booted macos without any menu.
Thereafter, even if aI leave the keyboard alone, or if I press teh space bar, the mac stops at Open firmware. boot
just brings na ok still, and if I fiddle with boot-device and boot-file to be yaboot and vmlinux then
type mac-boot, the kernel starts to boot, but there is a kernel panic about being unable to mount the root fs.

set blocksize: b_count 1,dev ide0 (3,11),block1!
Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:0b

After a while of playing around withthi in vains, I redownloaded BootX, and was then able to boot normally.

Then I tried various kernel config files, from the cd or default ones, with the patch from Kevin and the
tulip module as myonly customizations. Using the config file on the ydl cd got me errors about teh serial port
module and whatnot, so i tried Kevin's instructions again and got it to compile by replacing pmac-config with
pmac_config.
(Tricky underscore!) However, once again this kernel just froze early on when used with BootX, nd got further but
caused kernel panic
with yaboot. Argh! Oddly enough, when I later
rebooted with bootX and Kevin's prefab 2.2.15pre14 kernel, it didn;t complain about
the tulip kernel, but it said the device was busy when I tried to modprobe it. Another bg quesstion is,
is my buil-tin ethernet actually faulty or is it just a new driver fo linux? It drops so many packets and has
a total rate of about 40 bps... This is so frustrating

Jim, please send me a copy of your config file . I could always use more stuff to try.

Eternnally grateful for your help,
Craig