Re: : CS 1.2 : new zImage-prep 2.2.15 and scsi reset bug (?)

Subject: Re: : CS 1.2 : new zImage-prep 2.2.15 and scsi reset bug (?)
From: Kevyn Shortell (kevyn@apple.com)
Date: Wed Mar 22 2000 - 11:20:05 MST

Here's a suggestion, configure your email client to ignore emails
over say.....60K....

Problem solved.

Kevyn

on 3/21/00 3:52 PM, space aliens forced Peter M. Bagnall at
pete@surfaceeffect.com to write:

>> I have a 56k modem (connected at 45333 right now) and his image did not take
>> THAT long to DL (a few minutes [800K/270K/min]). Yes I agree it could have
>> been compressed better (hopefully without lessening readability). Now if the
>> image was > 1 MB I could understand, but it was less than 1 MB, so what's a
>> few minutes?
>
> It's more annoying when you don't have free local phone calls! It took me
> about 5 minutes to fetch my mail, compared to about 30 seconds normally.
> If you can I prefer it if you can put things like that up on an FTP or web
> site and give a URL. POP seems to very inefficient for transfering binaries
> from my ISP (or is that a general thing with POP). I normally tell people
> that sending pictures by email is impolite unless they've asked people if
> it's ok first. Also with lists there are several hundred people potentially
> losing a few minutes. That adds up to a lot of time. Many lists simply
> don't allow you to send attatchments for this reason. The other point is
> many email clients don't multitask, so you can't read mail while your
> fetching. I'm using Eudora under MacOS, at it suffers from this.
>
> Having said all that if you do need to send images there are things you can
> do to help out. It is well worth cropping them as tightly as you can. If
> you can it's also worth making the image greyscale rather than full colour.
> Having done this and saved it as a medium quality JPEG it went from 550k
> down to 52k which probably isn't a problem in email.
>
> The main thing to do though is crop. That makes the most difference. Much
> more that you might imagine. Hope those are helpful hints. I don't mean to
> spoil anyone's fun!
>
> Cheers
>
> Pete
>
> --
> Peter M. Bagnall
> pete@surfaceeffect.com - http://www.surfaceeffect.com/

Kevyn Shortell Apple
Technology Manager Worldwide Developer Relations
kevyn@apple.com http://developer.apple.com/
"War doesn't determine who's right. War determines who's left"