Sound on a B&W G3 with CS 1.2

Subject: Sound on a B&W G3 with CS 1.2
From: Conrad M. Hirano (cmh@umail.ucsb.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 23 2000 - 02:51:22 MST

I installed CS 1.2 on a rev. 2 B&W G3, but I haven't been able to get sound
to work. Trying to run aumix gave the following error message:

   aumix: error opening mixer

In /var/log/messages, I found the following error messages:

   modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module sound-slot-0
   modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module sound-service-0-0

conf.modules is empty and modprobe doesn't list aliases for those two
modules, so I'm assuming that's why I had to load the modules by hand. After
doing so, aumix now starts; however, it seems a bit flaky. For instance,
setting the level for the speaker doesn't seem to work.

Anyway, I'm still not getting any sound on the external speakers when trying
to play mp3s with xmms. However, I'm not completely sure if this is because
of a sound problem as xmms seems to be acting flaky as well: it's filling up
my home directory with WAV files.

Any ideas?