Re: 6500 - CS4232

Subject: Re: 6500 - CS4232
From: Joe DiLascio (karthos@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Mar 24 2000 - 07:36:17 MST

2 out of 3 ain't bad:

> * Is it possible to get better than 640x480x8 on these (ATI 3D Rage II)?
> I've played around a bit with kernel boot parameters and XF86Config, but
> have had no success (seems I must boot with "no video driver" and the
> framebuffer doesn't like being told to use more than 8bpp).

Ok, now I've got 640x480x16 which I guess is good enough :) (kernel boot
parameters for "video=" in case anyone is wondering)

> * Is it possible to get sound working (Some model of Crystal chip..)?

Here's where I'm still having trouble. I've recompiled the kernel etc.
etc. but when I 'modprobe cs4232', I get "dma, dma2, irq and io must be
set" .. "Device or resource busy". I don't see a way under MacOS to get
this info... Anybody? I'd rather not have to start guessing at irqs and
dmas :)

> * Is ~14 Bogomips normal for that processor? The machine feels slower
> than a snail in a tarpit.

Reverting to BootX 1.1.3 worked for that one. Now we're up to "snail on a
greased flagpole" speeds :p

Thanks
Joe DiLascio