Re: iMac and YellowDogLinux

Dan Burcaw (dburcaw@terraplex.com)
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 17:22:36 -0700 (MST)

Evan,

iMac support is special because new hardware is involved -- USB. We are
shipping a kernel with USB support built in, however, as of now this USB
support is an external add-on to the kernel. This basically means it
hasn't been blessed by Linus and there are still problems with it.

We do officially support iMac installation. While currently iMac
installation is a little rough, the installer is designed to support ADB &
USB mice and keyboard.

So to answer your question, your iMac is support but the support for it in
the Linux kernel is not perfect yet.

Dan

> Hey all,
>
> This list doesn't seem to have much traffic at the moment, so I thought I
> would attempt to get a ball rolling. After looking at the various Linux
> options (for both Mac and PC) I decided that YellowDogLinux was the most
> iMac friendly and that perhaps their installer would really be something
> special ;)
>
> Anyways, the iMac doesn't seem to be "Officially Supported". I thought
> that the YDL guys put the iMac in its own catagory here
> (http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/faq_hardware.html) because they may
> have had heaps of questions about it and they wanted to make it clear that
> it would run in the iMac. But after reading a bit more closely (and after
> reading the advice from YDL.com to come here if my machine wasn't
> supported), I am not not so sure.
>
> Why is it that LinuxPPC, MkLinux and now even YDL are having so much damn
> trouble supporting the iMac? I realise that Apple isn't so forthcoming
> about G3 specs, but it is crazy to think that people won't be disapointed
> that a machine that has been out for ages (in computer years) isn't well
> supported.
>
> If lack of Official Support means no tech support, does that mean that if I
> want to buy YDL and the manuals, will I get a cheaper price (ie, no 12
> month of support)?
>
> Also, when can we get some screenshots? ;)
>
> Thanks
>
> Evan Read

Dan

Terra Firma Design & Terra Soft Solutions, Inc.

 voice (970) 416-9821 in Fort Collins
 email dburcaw@terraplex.com
 website http://www.terraplex.com/