Re: Linux x86 binaries on PPC

Dan Burcaw (dburcaw@terraplex.com)
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 18:43:52 -0700 (MST)

> I'm not sure what the correct location for this would be (new to the linux
> ppc world..).. but the number 1 feature i'd like to see in Linux PPC would
> be the ability to run Linux x86 binaries. Currently the industry seems to
> be moving towards a x86 monopoly, except where the source code is provided
> for software. Some sort of layer to allow linux x86 binaries to run on the
> superior ppc architecture would be nice. Although not nearly as optimal as
> a PPC specific binary (especially performance wise!), at least it's
> something so we're not left out in the cold due to the mainstream
> mentality...

This is true and you have a good point. A project would basically have to
emulate x86 hardware. I'm thinking we can make people excited about Linux
on PPC which will mean more applications, commercial or otherwise without
undertaking such a large project.. Even Wine isn't very complete.. and
it's been in development for quite a long while now.

> Perhaps this could be a project like Wine (for those who don't know, it's
> an open source project that allows Windows binaries to run on Linux), or
> something undertaken by a commercial developer..?

Wine runs only on x86 because it's not an emulator.

Dan

Terra Firma Design & Terra Soft Solutions, Inc.

 voice (970) 416-9821 in Fort Collins
 email dburcaw@terraplex.com
 website http://www.terraplex.com/