Re: iMac and YellowDogLinux

Evan Read (eread@netaccess.co.nz)
Wed, 10 Mar 1999 16:40:30 +1300

>> Linux has one characteristic hindering it being leader of the pack and that
is
>> what M$ provided with NT - a GUI. Whatever people think of NT (et al.) it's
>> success was illustrated in the latest NZ ComputerWorld which printed letters
>> from people who were or attempted to use Linux in business. One guy couldn't
>> be bothered to put the time into learning Linux and stuck with a Windows
>> solution cos it provided a solution quicker and simpler.
>
> Exactly.. the Windows GUI imo is not very well designed.. Linux has the
> chance to redesign the GUI.

Which comes back to my post earlier. How much do you guys feel like
Paradigm Changing? With a fat million dollar investment from Motorolla and
the purchase of either GNome or KDE, you could completly revolutionize the
GUI ;) Start off offering Standard GUIs but evolve it (using Bazaar-style
develpment) and really do something great ;).

> Yup.. Red Hat has done a good thing for Linux in general.. but there are
> some things which we can do better.. beginning with the excellent
> capibilities of the G3 and soon the G4s.

Something else they have done for Linux is their portal site. May seem
"toyish" to most of us, but most consumer will be expecting it and it
provides a nice revenue stream. I would fully recommend some co-branding
with Redhat.com and later with "www.linux.com" (whatever it turns out to
be). Become THE only choice (in the minds of people) for PPC-based Linux.

Oh, and get more stories in Slashdot. I first read about the Kai article at
Linux am Mac (http://linux.macnews.de) but haven't seen any press coverage
in Slashdot (Intel hotspot) where the readership is nose-bleedingly high.
(how have I been doing at creating my own adjectives today?) ;)

Yours in Linux

--
Evan Read

Linux -- "it is computing, Jim, but not as we know it"