Suggestions for YDL

Matthew McCleary (hayduke@nmt.edu)
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 22:06:36 -0700 (MST)

Well, I'm not really an authority and have not been able to run "real"
Linux for quite some time. I've been struggling with LinuxPPC and have
gotten it working, but hardly ever use it.

Anyway, I think what I would most like to see is an easy-to-use installer
that is BETTER than Red Hat's standard installer; I'd like to see it be
error-free (LinuxPPC R4's installer bombs several times every time I try
to install). I'd sure like to see Motif, or, even better, Open Look, in
the LinuxPPC/Yellow Dog distribution. I don't know the details on that,
but I do remember Slackware Linux used to (and probably still does) come
with Open Look (olwm, that is). I really like that, probably just because
I'm used to old Sun workstations.

I really don't have many technical suggestions. One concern I do have is,
will Yellow Dog support large ATA hard drives (i.e. 25 GB, etc.)? I've
talked to people who own PC's who are saying that Red Hat in the PC world
doesn't seem to like large ATA drives.

Hope I have been helpful and not too annoying...

Matthew McCleary
Computer Science, New Mexico Tech
hayduke@nmt.edu - http://www.nmt.edu/~hayduke/
Home (505) 835-6075 NMT Solar Racing Shop (505) 835-5923