Re: Apple's OSS Movement

J. Paul Reed (preed@sigkill.com)
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 01:04:24 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 17 Mar 1999, Evan Read wrote:

> I will always recommend Linux over any of Apple's offerings until
> Apple joins the spirit of Open Source properly. But if they do (or if
> Linux developers flock to MacOS X with open source products), I will
> probably be there.

Current "issue" is, Apple isn't joining the OSS movement, no matter how
many press releases they write to the contrary.

And that fact can leave a bad taste in the "community's mouth."

If you haven't seen slashdot today, there's a great article at
http://perens.com/APSL.html/ saying why the Apple Public license ISN'T
open source; it's kinda interesting that they effectively "released" the
mach kernel and other things that were already released from CMU and UC
Berkely; thanks a lot, Apple.

Later,
Paul
  J. Paul Reed preed@sigkill.com || preed@area.com
  First rule in government spending: why build one when you can have two at
  twice the price? -- S.R. Hadden, Contact