Fun with FTP installs

Ben Karas (bjk4@po.cwru.edu)
Tue, 4 May 1999 22:21:04 -0500

I've been trying to install YellowDogLinux onto an Apple 7200 for the past
few days and have tried, unsuccessfully, to install via ftp YellowDogLinux
eight times in a row, with the same error.

I would run the installer, not pick individual packages, and then the
installer would reformat and continue. It would get the error "error
setting remote server to passive mode" on the first rpm and offer to retry.
On retry, it gives the error "server IO error". This occurs at least for
129.22.32.15, which I particularly like because I'm on the same network
segment as it is. I also got the same error for 156.111.175.77.

However, for fun, I tried ftp.ppc.kernel.org and the install went
perfectly. This leads me to believe that something is wrong with the
ftp.yellowdoglinux.com setups. I'm not expert enough to know what though.

Ideas?

-Ben Karas