Re: Dual boot Linux and OS X?

Darron Froese (darron@odi.ca)
Thu, 06 May 1999 11:52:48 -0600

> We have a Yosemite G3 here at work with Gigs of unused disk space. I
> wish to install YDL on it, but it is running OS X instead of MacOS. Is
> it possible to get this system to boot Linux? If so, how?

Chris,

As long as you have your drive partitioned already you can triple boot
between Mac OS, Mac OS X and Linux.

My B&W runs all three and I just boot into whatever OS I need at the time.

I partitioned my 6GB IDE drive into 3 partitions - a 3GB for the MacOS, 2GB
for OSX Server and an extra 1GB partition for whatever purpose I need. My
internal SCSI drive is set up as a 100% Linux drive (currently running YDL,
but it used to run LinuxPPC).

You may have to back up and reformat in order to get it to do what you want
- I reformatted and repartitioned it as soon as I took it out of the box.

After it's partitioned you can download (from the yellowdog website) the B&W
G3 vmlinux (the kernel that supports the IDE in the G3), the
updcd_ramdisk.tar.gz (ramdisk based installer) and install it just like
you'd do a regular RedHat install (network based: ftp, http, nfs or CD
based).

Hope that helps at all - give me a shout if you need more info or
clarification.

--
Darron
darron@calgary.westworld.ca - WestWorld Computers