Re: Dual boot Linux and OS X?

Chris Shutters (wcs@tycho.ncsc.mil)
Thu, 6 May 1999 12:54:14 -0400

From: Darron Froese <darron@odi.ca>

>As long as you have your drive partitioned already you can triple boot
>between Mac OS, Mac OS X and Linux.
>
>My B&W runs all three and I just boot into whatever OS I need at the
time.

>I partitioned my 6GB IDE drive into 3 partitions - a 3GB for the MacOS,
2GB
>for OSX Server and an extra 1GB partition for whatever purpose I need.
My
>internal SCSI drive is set up as a 100% Linux drive (currently running
YDL,
>but it used to run LinuxPPC).
>
>You may have to back up and reformat in order to get it to do what you
want
>- I reformatted and repartitioned it as soon as I took it out of the
box.

>After it's partitioned you can download (from the yellowdog website)
the B&W
>G3 vmlinux (the kernel that supports the IDE in the G3), the
>updcd_ramdisk.tar.gz (ramdisk based installer) and install it just like
>you'd do a regular RedHat install (network based: ftp, http, nfs or CD
>based).
>
>Hope that helps at all - give me a shout if you need more info or
>clarification.

Sounds excellent! I do have a couple of questions, though. NOTE: I
_don't_ yet have a CD copy of YDL :-(, so I can't boot from CD.

What software do you use to provide boot selection? Are you using
BootX, or something else? Our system currently boots directly into OS X
upon power-up. We can run MacOS _under_ OS X (as a set of processes),
but our system does not provide any startup option to boot into MacOS.

Do I need to do a separate installation of MacOS on an unused partition?
Or do I need to reinstall from the beginning (which I can easily do)?

Basically, once I understand how to get the box to boot Linux the first
time, life will be good. I should be able to handle the rest of the
installation. If the answer is "get a set of YDL CDs," that is also
fine :-).

Chris Shutters
wcs@tycho.ncsc.mit