Re: mounting HFS volumes

Urs Hochstrasser (hochstrasse@ubaclu.unibas.ch)
Sun, 9 May 1999 12:30:14 +0200

>volume. Is there a way to mount an HFS volume in yellowdog? I know you can
>use hmount in linuxppc, but hmount doesn't seem to be part of yellowdog.

You can edit the '/etc/fstab' file. Here's a real life example from my system:

/dev/hda10 /scratch hfs ro 0 0

The first item is the device, then comes the mount point in the device
tree. Next comes the file system designator. 'ro' in the next column means
read-only. The two zeroes I don't remeber, but I just copied them from
other entries. Descriptions of these entires can be found in the ''fstab'
manpage.

After editing '/etc/fstab' you need to create the mount point with 'mkdir
/scratch' (in the above example). After typing 'mount /scratch' the hfs
partition works as any other Linux device. I am not sure, but next time you
boot it should be mounted automatically, unless you put 'ro, noauto' in the
fourth column of the 'fstab' entry.

Cheers
--Urs
Urs Hochstrasser hochstrasse@ubaclu.unibas.ch
Botanical Institute, Hebelstrasse 1, CH-4056 BASEL
SWITZERLAND Phone +41 61 267 23 07