Blue G3 Blues

Urs Hochstrasser (hochstrasse@ubaclu.unibas.ch)
Sun, 9 May 1999 13:31:18 +0200

Hi Folks,

having installed YDL Champion from CD the other day on my Blue G3 I ran
accross some questions which I couldn't quite answer skimming through the
mailing list archive.

1) The new installer (upcd version) does not seem to take the kernel from
the MacOS System Folder but from CD. Since Ultra-ATA Support is new in this
kernel, but not included in the 'CD kernel', there seems to be a Catch-22
Situation: You can install YDL on a Blue G3, but you can't run it because
you have the old kernel installed. To copy the new kernel over or download
it, you would need a running YDL system...

Fortunately I had a SCSI card with 'jaz' drive installed. I just copied the
new kernel from MacOS by using the 'LinuxDisks' utility, which
unfortunately only recognizes SCSI devces.

Apparently my SCSI card, Adaptec PowerDomain 2930, seems to work, although
it isn't mentioned in the compatibility list (might not be fully supported
though).
Is there another utility to copy things to Linux partions when running
MacOS? Would there be another way out of the Catch-22?

2) Is there any way to get X-Window running on my Blue G3 before the
dedicated ATI driver is finished? To my understanding X won't work when the
'no video driver' option is checked (The Xconfigurator din't find a
suitable monitor setting while I was running under 'no video driver', and I
needed that option to see a thing). Are the kernel arguments in the BootX
application useless when there's no dedicated driver, or did someone find
the right settings?
Someone mentioned a modified '/etc/X11/XF86Config', where can I find this,
and did it really work on a Blue G3?

Thanks a lot! Great work, Linux running on Yosemite!

Cheers
--Urs
Urs Hochstrasser hochstrasse@ubaclu.unibas.ch
Botanical Institute, Hebelstrasse 1, CH-4056 BASEL
SWITZERLAND Phone +41 61 267 23 07