Re: LinuxPPC.org Developer CD

Dan Burcaw (dburcaw@terraplex.com)
Fri, 14 May 1999 16:52:46 -0600 (MDT)

On Sat, 15 May 1999, Evan Read wrote:

> Just curious,
>
> what does the new CD that LinuxPPC.org announced mean for YDL? Will
> Champion Server 1.1 include everything contained (ie reasonably recent
> releases) on the cd?

We helped make this CD. We are active Linux/PPC Developers and our work
has gone into that cd with the intent that YDL and the other distributions
will benefit from it. So in other words, we don't just take developer work
and stick it on a cd.. we actually contribute to that work :-)

For example, I've made valuable contributions to the Reference Release
installer which will be used by LinuxPPC, Inc., TurboLinux, and YDL..

This loose group of developers are unlike any other linux development
team. On intel, do you see a central development effort which all the
distributions pull from? Nope... the Linux/PPC effort is very special in
that regard.

Yes.. Champion Server 1.1 will be based on Red Hat 6.0.. which is what the
Reference Release is. The goal of the developers (myself included) is to
create a reference distribution to be used by te distributors which
provides compatibility across the board. We could have done our own
distribution without the help of all the developers in the Linux/PPC
community but we'd be largely reinventing the wheel.

> An more information on Gone Home?

Our team has the design of Gone Home finalized (ie: we know what's going
into it) and we're in early stages of implimentation.

I still don't want to say too much more other then we hope to have a demo
of Gone Home for Mac World New York in late July.

> Lastly, how is everyone finding 8.6? It seems to have added 1/3 more
> booting time and there may be some iCab Pre1.5/OS8.6 incompatibilities but
> apart form that....

All I've heard (from a fellow Linux/PPC) developer that beta tested it is
that it's much improved...

> I don't see the point (yeah, I mean't don't). Thank goodness we didn't
> have to pay for it ;)
>
> Cyas all.
>

> --
> Evan Read

> / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ / . . . t h e c h o i c e o f a

Dan

Terra Soft Solutions, Inc.
 email: dburcaw@yellowdoglinux.com
 website: http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/