Re: Blue G3 X server problem

Michael Messano (messano@dicomed.com)
Mon, 24 May 1999 11:53:24 -0500

At 9:44 AM -0700 5/24/99, Ron Thompson wrote:
>I'm having issues getting the X server up and running. Been watching
>the group for a little bit to make sure I've got everything okay. Got
>the XF86Config file from the server, but have heard that I should use
>the XPmac server as opposed to the FBDev package, which it seems like
>I'm using. Especially with all the FBDev: messages in the startup.
>So, if my font problem is fixed with going to that package, I'd like to
>know how to go about doing that (I have both installed right now), if
>not, could someone tell me how to get rid of this error:
>
>(--) FBDev: No driver support for hardware acceleration
>bpp = 16, depth = 15, BitsPerRGB = 5
>(--) FBDev: Using cfb16 driver
>_FontTransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
>failed to set default font path 'unix/:7100'
>Fatal server error:
>could not open default font 'fixed'
>
>If anyone can help, I'd greatly appreciate it! I'd like to show all my
>co-workers here at Apple how this puppy runs (pun intended), hehe...
> -Ron

        First things first: Check the soft link from X. In /usr/X11R6/bin
ther should be a soft-linked X to the X server you are using. If the link
points to FBDev, do this:
rm X
ln -s /usr/X11R6/XPmac /usr/X11R6/X

This will link the XPmac server to start when you type startx. This works
for me, although I have noticed that booting from the Mac, you should set
the monitor to 1000's of colors, or less. At this point, I have been
unsuccessful getting X to run in 32-bits (millions). You may have to
rebuild your font lists, but this is just a guess, and I can't remember how
to do it offhand. Any takers?

Michael J. Messano

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}
{} Michael J. Messano {}
{} Assembly Repair Technician {}
{} messano@dicomed.com {}
{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}
{} Dicomed, Inc. {}
{} 1801 79th Avenue S {}
{} Suite 25 {}
{} Bloomington, MN 55425 {}
{} 612.883.0636 {}
{} http://www.dicomed.com {}

"The care of every man's soul belongs to himself.
But what if he neglect the care of it?
Well what if he neglect the care of his health or his estate, which
would more nearly relate to the state.
Will the magistrate make a law that he not be poor or sick?
Laws provide against injury from others; but not from ourselves.
God himself will not save men against their wills."
       -- Thomas Jefferson, October 1776