Re: Xconfigurator and XF68_FBDev

Dan Burcaw (dburcaw@terraplex.com)
Tue, 25 May 1999 23:14:59 -0600 (MDT)

On Wed, 26 May 1999, Benjamin Karas wrote:

> I finally got X to run in the mode I want, and also accelerated. It took
> me a week of editing the *wrong* config file, but I finally found the other
> config file and got it running. Furthermore, after a restart, I had an
> accelerated console once I symlinked /etc/X to /usr/X11R6/bin/Xpmac.
>
> I also tried playing around with Xconfigurator -- a lot -- but it kept
> doing weird things. It turns out that my copy of Xconfigurator tries to
> use /usr/X11R6/bin/XF68_FBDev always, regardless where /etc/X points to. I
> figured this out when I renamed XF68_FBDev and Xconfigurator complained.

Xconfigurator MAKES /etc/X11/X....
The only way that Xconfigurator will set you up for Xpmac use is if
/dev/fb0, etc. doesn't exist.. (so you dont have any framebuffer devices)

We feel that most people will be using FBDev since it's far better for
most systems. The Blue and Whites do need work and we're assisting
development efforts to get Rage 128 support into the kernel..

Perhaps someone could write a HOWTO on setting up Xpmac on a YDL system
for Blue and White users. I'd be more then willing to make a page on the
web site that just contains these HOWTOs.

> Is this the same on other people's machines? Should this be so? Where
> does it get configured?
>
> -Ben Karas
> -In pursuit of the best graphics mode yet.

> REPLY TO: bjk4@po.cwru.edu
> My account at nls.net is only temporary
> and will be closed at the end of the summer!

Dan

Terra Soft Solutions, Inc.
 email: dburcaw@yellowdoglinux.com
 website: http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/