Setting time, hostname and getting kernel headers

Paul Leclerc (pleclerc@yahoo.com)
Wed, 26 May 1999 03:25:52 -0700 (PDT)

I remember a thread talking about setting the clock and
how the time seemed to be 6-8 hours off. I had the same
problem and couldn't add anything to help at that time.
Now... maybe I do. I was hacking around the system
trying to change my hostname. I looked in
/etc/rc.d/sysconfig.rc (I don't have the exact filename
because I'm writing this from the MacOS). I saw some
statements in there regarding time and clocks and stuff.
It tries to run either /sbin/hwclock or /sbin/clock but
neither file exists. (Dan Burcaw? I think this file
needs to get added to the base RPM). Anyways, that's one
problem. You can reset your timezone and GMT setting by
running 'timeconfig'. It adds the appropriate lines to
/etc/sysconfig/clock and creates symbolic links to
/etc/timeszone. So... that's more information for
someone else to use to sniff out the problem. The bigger
issue is that /sbin/clock does not exits.

On another note, I download the kernel-source-2.2.6.rpm
from the kernel/2.2.6/RPMS directory on YDL. It needs
the kernel-headers-2.2.6.rpm. Dan? Can you place that
up there with the source RPM ? Did you have to patch the
headers for YDL? I'm looking to compile the kernel and
update the modules. I can't do ppp and sound unless I cd
to /lib/modules/2.2.2/net and do insmod -f slhc and
insmod -f ppp which is a pain.

Thanks for the great distro. I'm hacking Linux for work
and bought 5 distro's (PC & Mac) on the same day. Your's
was the first to arrive (and the only one so far). The
other may come in another week!!

Paul Leclerc

===
Paul Leclerc pleclerc@yahoo.com
Work: (208) 396-3097 Home: (208) 442-1047