Re: One monitor, two computers?

Subject: Re: One monitor, two computers?
From: Kevyn Shortell (kevyn@apple.com)
Date: Wed Nov 03 1999 - 11:58:04 MST

I would not advocate spending any money on F-Secure SSH for the
Macintosh, It has not been updated in over a year, and is quite
buggy on newer versions of the Mac OS.

Having actually PAID for 5 copies, and not having Data Fellows ever
even bother to update it, was rather annoying.

Their tactic is to come up with an entirely new product, based on SSH2
which you'd have to pay another $99 for.

Kevyn

(Note, these are my personal opinions, not Apple's)

>Urs Hochstrasser wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Jason wrote:
> > > Is there a way I can share my 20" (beige) Apple Colorsync monitor
> > >between a Blue & White G3 (running MacOS) and a Beige G3/300 running
> > >YDL? Some sort of switch? What about the ADB port on the monitor? Please
> > >help! (I don't have enough desktop space for both computers *and* two
> > >monitors... And the fact that I hardly ever work directly on the YDL
> > >server, but need it occasionally).
> >
> > If you just want to use the console, you could install SSH on the YDL
> > box, run it without a monitor at all and acces it with NiftyTelnet
> > (with SSH), so you can log in as root. I do this with my 7100 MkLinux
> > box all the time...
> >
> > If you find out how to use SSH tunneling with a Max X client program,
> > tell me. It would probably be great fun...
>
>F-Secure SSH for Macintosh supports port forwarding. It also supports
>secure X11 sessions built in.
>
>It costs money however but its worth it.
>
>Patrick

Kevyn Shortell Worldwide Developer Relations
Technology Manager Apple Computer, Inc
kevyn@apple.com http://developer.apple.com/
"War doesn't determine who's right. War determines who's left"