X,ppp,LinuxDisks - oh my!

Subject: X,ppp,LinuxDisks - oh my!
From: Josh Hochman (josh@kokyu.com)
Date: Tue Nov 09 1999 - 14:33:07 MST

First off, thanks in advance for any feedback on the following... user lists
like these are an indispensable resource!

Anyways, I'm an experienced x86 (I ran Linux on my 386/33 waaay back in 93)
and mkLinux (since DR1 on my PowerComputing 100) user, making the happy
transition to YDL on my brand-spanking-new G4 (Yikes). Needless to say, it's
been great so far - very fast, fun to use, etc. I'm looking for help on a
few things - and I'm willing to tackle some of these problems if nobody else
has yet...

1) XConfig
- anybody have an XConfig set up for a G4 (Yikes)
- has anybody run Xpmac on the G4, if so, is it faster or easier to
configure?

2) LinuxDisks
- is this program toast? I cannot find it anywhere...
- is there any other Mac program that mounts/reads/writes ext2 partitions?

3) HFS support
- can I mount MacOS 8.6 extended partitions? 'mount -t hfs /dev/hda8 /mnt'
mounts something that looks unusable and contains a file
'where_did_all_my_files_go?' (!)
- hmount will mount the disk in the same way

4) ppp
- what's the best way to easily configure pppd? Linuxconf? It's been so
long, I cannot remember how did it last time (by hand, I think...)
- how do USB <-> Serial converters map devices? I have a serial ISDN modem
hooked up to a Keyspan adapter... will it still be /dev/cua1?

5) mice
- I have a Kensington multi-button ADB mouse hooked up through an iMate
adapter. Is that considered a USB multibutton, ADB multibutton, USB single
button, or ADB single button? Ack!

If anyone has a working XConfig or ppp script that they can toss my way, I'd
greatly appreciate it. Thanks again!

-Josh