Unable to mount root fs

Subject: Unable to mount root fs
From: Craig Roberts (craig.roberts@clearview.co.nz)
Date: Wed Nov 10 1999 - 04:25:57 MST

I have just completed installation of YDL 1.1 following these steps:-

Reformatted G3/300 B&W 6GB HD to 3 * 2GB partitions.

Installed OS 8.5.

Installed all the YDL bits into the respective System Folder areas.

Booted into the Linux installer and proceeded all the way to fdisk.

Removed an unused MacOS partition and formatted it as 100 mb swap and 1 GB
root partitions.

Saved and quit back to Linux installer, where I elected the root as '/'.

Proceeded through the installation, which did'nt give indication of any
problems.

At the end I was informed to enter 'hda7' as root device and not to have
'RAM on startup' checked. I rebooted and got the first reboot screen, which
waits for a while and then reboots the Mac into MacOS (I think :?).
Here I chose BootX control panel set the settings as required and chose to
boot into Linux.

After bootup phase was faced with the following messages at the bottom of
the startup message window:-
request_module[block-major-22]: root fs not mounted
VFS. Cannot open root device 16:07 <-- this does not correspond to the
actual time ;-)
Kernel panic. VFS. Unable to mount root fs on 16:07
Reboot in 180 seconds.

Any suggestions please?

Regards

Craig Roberts