Re: Cheap Entry into the PPC World

Subject: Re: Cheap Entry into the PPC World
From: Aaron Burt (aaronb@eskimo.com)
Date: Thu Nov 11 1999 - 15:06:00 MST

On Thu, 11 Nov 1999, Andy Carlson wrote:

> I have tried YDL and PPC on a 43P model 140 I have here at work, and
> have not had any luck. I would possibly like to buy a machine to
> install this on, but would like to get by as cheaply as possible. I
> happen to like RS6000's, but don't happen to have a suitable machine to
> install it on. Does anyone sell ATX boards that I could build my own
> machine with? Thanks for any info.

Well, the PowerPC Open Platform (POP) is supposed to cover this.
http://www.chips.ibm.com/products/powerpc/linux/
There are a couple companies building POP motherboards, but no-one's
shipping, and I haven't heard of POP-specific kernels.

However, PC-Recycle in Kirkland, WA gets all the Microsoft leftovers,
including a bunch of Motorola and IBM PReP boxen. I saw a bare Blackhawk
at one of their satellite stores for $100, which is too much, but I've
been thinking of hitting the warehouse and talking turkey. Maybe I could
score a few Alpha and MIPS boxes, too. I just haven't had time to do it
yet.

My dept. has about 7 PReP boxes sitting around. I wish I could take 'em
home...