Re: fdisk install probs

Subject: Re: fdisk install probs
From: Ana Cruz and Joe DiCastro (anacruz@ameritech.net)
Date: Fri Nov 12 1999 - 11:42:32 MST

on 11/12/99 1:50 PM, Eric Bickford at eric@webfm.com wrote:

>> After a couple of times I just ignored the error, shut the power off,
>> restarted it & installed - the partition table was written despite the
>> reported error and it works just fine.
>
> I, however, can't get past Figure 5.13 on page 5.15. It drops me into
> "segmentation fault... install exited.. you may safely reboot...". I can
> see that the root and swap have been created, but I can't go any farther.
>

> Also, since I have a whole SCSI drive I want to initialize and use for
> YDL, why can't I use Disk Duid? The installer won't let me since it see's
> Mac partitions.
>
> Thanks for any help. I do have a Jaz drive attached as well. Anyone know
> if Jaz is supported hardware?

> Eric Bickford eric@webfm.com
> Web Broadcasting http://webfm.com/

Eric,

I responded earlier, but it was to the wrong message, so you probably didn't
see it.

After you setup your partition table and try to save it with 'w', and it
fails, make sure you reboot the whole system (cntl+cmd+power), wait until
the MAC has fully loaded, and then go back into linux again. Check the
partition map and it should have saved your partitions from before.

I spent all day trying to get YDL installed on my 8600 and it kept screwing
up until I rebooted after the partition map creation failure. When I went
back in, the rest of the installation went fine.

Joe