Re: PB G3, OS 9, Support questions

Subject: Re: PB G3, OS 9, Support questions
From: Christoph Balzarek (balzarek@darkwing.uoregon.edu)
Date: Fri Nov 12 1999 - 14:00:21 MST

Stuart, Jim,

I installed kernel 2.2.12-2 (with ATI support, I think)from YDL's ftp server
and used Xconfigurator to set up my screen on my PBG3/233 (wallstreetII,ATI
Rage LT Pro) starting into runlevel 3. I chose custom screen, played a bit
with the parameters for vertical and horizontal refresh rate(I think) and
tested the configuration. I chose 24 bit/1024x768,and Xconfigurator told me
the setup was OK. I passed "video=atyfb:vmode:14,cmode:16" on from within
BootX, unchecked the "No Video Driver" button and voila, it worked. Now I am
a newbie, and maybe I did things I should not have done. But it works.

I did not help to choose Powerbook G3 screen in Xconfigurator.???

Alright, that's my experience. YMMV.

Christoph

on 11/12/99 11:40, Jim Cole at greyleaf@yggdrasill.net wrote:

> Stuart R. Hall's bits of Thu, 11 Nov 1999 translated to:
>
>> I've got YDL running on a PB G3 with MacOS 9.
>> It's been installed for a couple of months, and I just have a few questions
>> for everyone:
>>
>> (1) Is there yet support for my ATI Rage LT Pro
>> chipset for graphics acceleration?
> Support does exist, but setting it up is not particularly straight forward.
> Basically, you either need to drop back to the Xpmac server or upgrade your
> kernel. Both require some configuration tweaking and additional kernel
> arguments. There is supposed to be an official Yellow Dog kernel update,
> including some useful configuration tools, coming soon. So you might want
> to wait on that unless you are really itching for acceleration. There is
> more information on PowerBook G3 graphics hardware acceleration floating
> around in the list archive.
>
> Jim
Christoph Balzarek
Department of Chemistry phone: (541)346-4631
University of Oregon fax: (541)346-0487
Eugene, OR 97403-1253, USA
email: balzarek@darkwing.uoregon.edu