booting/install on 7200

Subject: booting/install on 7200
From: John Westgate (jwestgate@mediaone.net)
Date: Sun Nov 14 1999 - 15:09:34 MST

It seeems the install went fine, yet I cannot boot directly into Linux when
I first boot the machine, I can get part of the way into Linux when I boot
with BootX out of MAC OS 8.0. I then get this at the end of the start-up
screen:

"init" error in loading shared libraries: libutil.so.1: cannot open shared
object
file: No such file or directory"

I have re-installed the software at least three times, still this what I get.

The dev/sda8 is the path in the bootX app.

I have a partition on a 2gig SCSI drive, non-apple. I do have two ethernet
cards on the machine, is that an issue? there are no SCSI external
devices. 72RAM, 100MB partition assigned to swap, i was having problems
at the end of the install, getting it to see the mouse at one point, and
getting it to set the time/timezone was not working.

How can I be sure that dev/sda8 is correct?
partition table:
swap 100MB
/home 120MB
/ 200MB (root)
/usr ~870MB

The other half of the drive is allocated for MAC 0S 8.6, and has AppleShare
IP on it.

Any ideas anyone?