PowerBook G3 internal modem

Subject: PowerBook G3 internal modem
From: Gilbert Fernandes (gilbertf@free.fr)
Date: Tue Nov 16 1999 - 02:38:22 MST

Hello,

I've installed CS 1.1 on a PowerBook G3, WallStreet II model.

I' using KDE, and I've configured kPPP and I've got a problem. The
internal modem (cobalt modem) is at ttyS2. If I open a console, I can
launch minicom and communicate with the modem (I've setup /dev/modem to
/dev/ttyS2). I can give the modem an ATZ and do whatever I want.

When I'm using kPPP under KDE, I got more trouble. First, I can only use
the dialing once. If I try to connect, everything works fine, but once I
was connected, everything freezed! I couldn't do anything: I tried
clicking in the KDE tool bar, launching a console (I didn't know about
the Option+Ctrl+Fn at that time, I'm a complete newbie).

When the modem connection fails (like this morning, I'm in Germany and I
tried to connect to my ISP; I've clicked on the "modem forces the CD"
button) the modem no longer works with kPPP. I can open a console, and
talk to the modem, but kPPP cannot speak to the modem. Whatever I do,
the log window shows the modem doesn't answer to kPPP (and I've checked
there is a lock file, so the modem should only be answering to kPPP
since minicom isn't running).

It's not really a problem, since the modem dials but only in France.
But, I'd like to be able to connect from Canada or Germany (or whereever
I may be) so if someone had that problem once, please help.

I've not tried to connect from France, and first (and last) time I
tried, everything froze. I'll try again, and I've put 'netscape' as
program to launch on kPPP so perhaps it'll work (?).

Is it possible to write some script I would launch under the console,
that would connect and make the pppd deamon work, then I would 'startx'
and use the KDE mail program and netscape communicator? I don't know how
to to that yet, and my "Linux pour les Nuls" book uses a very different
way to manage connections to Internet, but when I tried it, I got a
"unknown command 'CONNECT' so I gave up that method for the moment).

I've tried several commands, to ask the modem to 'ignore the carrier'
from the phone (the modem waits for a french tone, a continuous 440 Khz
tone, the A tone in fact for musicians around) and the german one is a
non-continous tone. I've tried those:

1. &C0 instead of &C1 (but this should change the way the modem answers
to the carrier from the modem it's talking to, so this should not be the
good one).

2. NC6 ; this one is to tell the modem the country code is 6, that is
Germany. But the modem didn't react to it.

3. Xn I've tried several numbers from 0 to 4 (4 being the minicom
default). Gave nothing.

4. Sn=x I've used S6=1 to tell the modem "wait line before blind
dialing" but it didn't work either :P

I've browsed some archive at Yellow Dog Linux site, and it looks like
several people tried using the internal modem of the PowerBook G3. Some
didn't found it (I found ttyS3) and the messages remained unanswered for most.

--
Gilbert Fernandes