Re: ox X and linux

Subject: Re: ox X and linux
From: Mr Spiffy (macuser666@home.com)
Date: Tue Nov 16 1999 - 17:49:10 MST

Remember that Mac OS X is not a finished product, even tho OS X Server
shipped it was really in a beta form then final form. The finished OS X
will be noticably faster, more stable, and much more like the classic Mac OS
as far as interface goes. Objective C, will not entirely widely supported,
is increadibly powerful and I think the move to support it is entirely
revolutionary. Rapid development is its strongest merit, the HTTP protocol
was written in Objective C on a NeXT box in under a weekend! Top that with
the porting of Quake 2 to Mac OS X Server in two weeks (verses almost a year
for classic Mac OS) and you see what I mean. Although I don't expect OS X
to conquer to world or anything, I do think it will be much more then a
niche player. Just give it time, Linux didn't really start to shine until
its third year into the project - OS X is even newer then that.

~Christopher