Re: Ethernet cards and yellowdog

Subject: Re: Ethernet cards and yellowdog
From: Ed Jaeger (ed.jaeger@bgcorp.com)
Date: Wed Nov 17 1999 - 15:20:56 MST

It works well in MacOS - I got it long before I'd _heard_ of YDL.

Here's what I do:

-Make sure I have kernel-*.rpm installed
-cd /usr/src/linux-2.2.x/drivers/net
-mv tulip.c tulip.c.yellowdog
-Get the latest tulip.c from http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/tulip.html
-cd /usr/src/linux-2.2.x
-make pmac_config

If I've got X running then {

        -make xconfig

        else

        -make menuconfig
}

---All kinds of stuff you can leave alone, but:

-change the ethernet card drivers from "y" to "m"

Reason:

The stock YDL kernel is built with the DE4X5 driver built in. This
driver will see the Dec 21143 in the Farallon card and think it can deal
with it - in fact it will say all is ok - but it will not work! If you
leave the driver in the kernel (i.e. don't make it a module) the tulip
module will never have a chance to doo its thing.

-make sure the tulip driver is set to "m"

-make dep
-make clean
-make vmlinux
-make modules
-make modules_install

--assuming you're using bootx & have your Mac startup volume mounted

-cp /usr/src/linux/vmlinux.2.2.x to (for me) /mnt/macvol/"System
Folder"/"Linux Kernels"/vmlinux.2.2.x.godihopeitworksthistime (or whatever)
-cp /usr/src/linux/System.map to /boot/System.map
-shutdown from linux, reboot into MacOS, & use BootX with your new kernel
-modprobe tulip
-ifup eth0

Assuming no errors

-ifconfig

If all looks cool

-ping (some address you know you should be able to reach)

If everything works put this in your /etc/config.modules file:

alias eth0 tulip

and it will come up everytime you boot!

I hope I didn't give you any bad instructions up there - its from memory
since I'm not at my machine right now - but the part about the drivers
is corret: The stock kernel has a driver built in that thinks it works
with the Farallon card, but it does not. Since it's not a module the
only way to disable it is to make a new kernel without it.

At least you don't have to remember that you forgot to run /sbin/lilo on
a ppc machine - one less thing to screw up.

All kidding aside, if you save your old kernel you can always go back.

--
Ed Jaeger, CFO, Bohlender Graebener Corporation
ed.jaeger@bgcorp.com

-- Frederick von Schiller