On PPP launch: modprobe: can't locate module ppp-compress

Subject: On PPP launch: modprobe: can't locate module ppp-compress
From: Aurel Wisse (wisse@sympatico.ca)
Date: Wed Nov 17 1999 - 19:46:05 MST

Upon launching pppd with a chatscript (suggested on the iMacLinux site
by Phil Regalia) I'm getting the error messages identified in the
attachment, which is a sample from the /var/log/messages file.

I am using kernel 2.2.6 from on an iMac Rev. B.

Now, what is going on here: PPP support is obviously compiled in the
kernel and my ppp "options" file looks like this (a slight modification
from the Regalia file).

 lock
 asyncmap 0
 /dev/modem 57600
 mru 1500
 mtu 1500
 crtscts
 lcp-echo-interval 20
 lcp-echo-failure 3
 defaultroute
<<<

While it doesn't seem to prevent PPP from functioning, the fact
that upon launching I get these messages about ppp-compress seems
suboptimal. Any ideas?

Aurel Wisse
wisse@sympatico.ca