Re: G4 & Linux

Subject: Re: G4 & Linux
From: Reid Ellis (rae@tnir.mef.org)
Date: Thu Nov 18 1999 - 08:42:17 MST

MooreIanM@exchange.uams.edu <MooreIanM@exchange.uams.edu> said:
> Does linux running on a G4 utilize the 128bit velocity engine!!??!!

I don't think there are any velocity binaries out there yet, but [in theory] it
could be treated the same way pentium-specific binaries are treated. instead
of rpm's named *.ppc.rpm we could use *.vppc.rpm or something.

Who decides these things? Has a decision already been made? I prefer a
simple prefix to ppc.rpm so that those who don't care if there is velocity
support or not can simply search on 'ppc.rpm', while those who do care will
specify the 'vppc.rpm'.

Reid