proftpt startup probs details

Subject: proftpt startup probs details
From: John (jholm@sympatico.ca)
Date: Fri Nov 19 1999 - 22:28:10 MST

i don't know why proftpd with inetd isn't working.
if i set the inetd.conf to:

# These are standard services.
ftp stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd in.proftpd
telnet stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd in.telnetd
#gopher stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd gn

telnet works, but my remote ftp client gives me a
"the connection with this server has been closed or the server is not
listening"

but if i comment ftp out of the inetd.conf,

it reacts differently, it looks a long time for the ftp server and says
"failed to make connection with this server"
(which you'd expect, since i just turned it off)

but if i open a term and throw it a
/usr/sbin/proftpd

all the ftp services work fine.

the only difference i can see in the /usr/sbin directory between telnet and
ftp is

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 36984 Jun 25 07:27 in.telnetd
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 Sep 23 17:47 in.proftpd -> proftpd

maybe the link is bad?

arghh!