modprobe: can't locate module ppp-compress-xx: SOLVED

Subject: modprobe: can't locate module ppp-compress-xx: SOLVED
From: Aurel Wisse (wisse@sympatico.ca)
Date: Fri Nov 19 1999 - 23:13:02 MST

Well, maybe solved is a bit exagerated, because the principal part of the
solution has been posted in dec 1997 ;-) to another list. I found it
searching www.google.com/linux.

It goes like this:
Whatever module codes xx are missing, the code can be identified in the
file /usr/src/linux/include/linux/ppp-comp.h. Close to the bottom of that
file, there are lines ending with the comment "config. option for..." and
then either "BSD-Compress" or "Deflate". The numbers to the left of these
comments are the numbers "xx" in the modprobe message. Actually, you can
look up in the file /usr/src/linux/drivers/net/ppp.c that the names given
to the compression modules bsd_comp and ppp_deflate are the cryptic
"ppp-compress-xx" we are getting from modprobe.
So what we have to do is the following:
For each modprobe message we are getting with code "xy":
loog up the number xy in the ppp-comp.h file and see whether it goes with
ppp_deflate or bsd_comp. In the former case add the line

alias ppp-compress-xy ppp_deflate

to your /etc/conf.modprobe file, for the latter, add the line

alias ppp-compress-xy bsd_comp

to the /etc/conf.modules file.

My /etc/conf.modules file looks like this now:

alias ppp-compress-21 bsd_comp
alias ppp-compress-26 ppp_deflate
alias ppp-compress-24 ppp_deflate

Since I have done that, I get the comforting messages:

kernel: PPP BSD Compression module registered
kernel: PPP Deflate Compression module regisered

from the kernel instead of the annoying modprobe messages.

Aurel Wisse
wisse@sympatico.ca