Re: G4/400/Yikes & Adpt 2940U2W SCSI

Subject: Re: G4/400/Yikes & Adpt 2940U2W SCSI
From: Richard Bookman (rb@chroma.med.miami.edu)
Date: Sat Nov 20 1999 - 12:15:56 MST

John,

Not sure I have any real insights. And I did use an "Adeptec 2940U2W PCI
for Macintosh" package.

I did run Apple's Hard Drive Utility first and set up two partitions,
one of which was unallocated. (The other, by defauilt was made into
HFS.) This did mean that the low-level Apple Drivers were installed on
the drive along with some other small Apple partitions that the YDL
install guide says to leave in place. I left those untouched.

The actual partitioning done under Apple HardDrive Setup probably
doesn't matter too much bec I changed (almost) everything using the
partitioning tools in the YDL distribution.

I'm pretty sure that you must be able to see the drive with HardDrive
Setup bec/ until I did that, nothing worked.

How far do you get in the installation? Got "no video drivers" checked?
Got "hda=noautotune" (or whatever is right for your box) in the kernel options?

Hope this helps,
Richard