RE: G4/400/Yikes & Adpt 2940U2W SCSI

Subject: RE: G4/400/Yikes & Adpt 2940U2W SCSI
From: Blottman John B NPRI (BlottmanJB@npt.nuwc.navy.mil)
Date: Sat Nov 20 1999 - 12:58:39 MST

Richard,

I am assuming that it is the adaptec drivers that is causing me grief.
I ripped out the controler, and installed ydl on an external (apple scsi
controller) without a hitch. Unfortunately, that build of linux will
not then recognize the adaptec either. During boot off the external, I
get the scsi: aborting command....

For the internal UW device installation,
I ran Apple Drive Setup and created two partitions. HFS and
unallocated. I installed MAC OS 8.6 on the HFS partition.
Then I installed BootX, and the ram_disk from ydl's CD (I tried 1.1.3
and even 1.2b2 too)
>From BootX I tried "no video drivers", and even hda=noautotune, although
this was NOT required during the build on the external.

Booting begins. hda is recognized. the scsi buses are recognized, and
identified. Then I get the message:
scsi: aborting command due to timeout pid 0, scsi0 channel 0, id 0 lun 0
0x 00 00 0 00
and the bus goes through a loop of resetting. Game over.

Thanks,
john