Re: Linux and BeOS

Subject: Re: Linux and BeOS
From: Brian Ketelsen (briank@becos.org)
Date: Sun Nov 21 1999 - 00:05:15 MST

The official Be word is that they refuse to reverse engineer the new Apple
hardware. Don't know why, but I do know that reverse engineering is the
only way the Linux guys got anything booting on the new G3s and above.
Since Apple is again becoming more and more tight about giving out specs of
hardware, it looks less and less likely to see BeOS running on anything at
the G3 level and above. Interestingly, the G3 upgrade cards run Be just
fine, it's the motherboards that Be has a problem with.

Unfortunately, Be has requested design specs several times and Apple has
refused, so it looks like Intel is the platform of the future for Be. It
runs nicely on my Pentium 200 MMX...

--

Brian Ketelsen briank@becos.org

Take a RISC -- G4 Powered by Motorola